How do you spell design?
"E.D.O." in Britain
A press release spurred news reports in England Wednesday + Thursday of a new design organization's debut there:
UK: Organisation for editorial designers launches
For those interested in editorial design, a new organization has been launched: The Editorial Design Organisation (EDO). EDO's goal is to promote visual journalism in UK magazines, newspapers and websites.
UK's leading editorial designers recently formed EDO. Heading this non-profit organization is Haymarket design director Paul Harpin. EDO aims to encourage and support established designers as well as students who want to enter the industry. Deputy chair John Brown and executive creative director Jeremy Leslie believe this organisation comes at a crucial time when editorial design is playing an increasingly important role in publishing.
Before the end of this year EDO hopes to build a programme of lectures and talks on issues affecting the editorial design community. EDO also plans to launch a website and create a joint educational programme. To access the websites and programs EDO members will be asked to pay a small subscription.
Source: Presse Gazette through Ifra Executive News Service
The groups' website, "manifesto" and four-point mission statement can be found here.
So just what ARE the privileges of membership? (10 pounds for students; 40 for full members)
WHAT WILL NEW MEMBERS GET FROM E.D.O.?Editorial Design Organisers did not return requests for comment. But The Blog was encouraged to see the a full two-fifths of the first years' agenda involved adult beverages. So things aren't all that different across the pond, it would seem.
(WHAT WILL We TRY TO DO IN OUR FIRST YEAR?)
1) We hope to hold three lectures/debates on editorial design. The first lecture/debate will be free. ("Our first event will be a fashion debate with three top designers. More soon. The provisional date is Thursday 22nd November. This event will be free to new members.")
2) We will start our educational program.
3) Christmas drinks party ("Our second event will be purely networking – a Christmas drinks party.")
4) Summer drinks party next year
5) Access to the E.D.O website for networking, forums, jobs, contacts, to see interesting new design work, freelancers etc.