9.11.2007

Mangle moves to Hotlanta

Exciting news from Region 3: The Orlando Sentinel's Melissa Angle has accepted a senior design position with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, where she'll be working on Page One, special projects and the AJC's upcoming redesign (expected to be unveiled sometime in 2008 or 2009).

Angle joined the Sentinel is 2005 and was named employee of the year in 2006 for her work on the new Local In-Depth section. The section earned her multiple SND awards. She recently was named SND's Region 3 director. She was kind enough to step away from Facebooking for a few minutes to discuss with The Blog what comes next:

Talk about your new job in Atlanta. What really sold you on it?
"The AJC has such a talented design group, and I'm really looking forward to being a part of their team. I've been watching the paper closely for the past several years and they consistently have smart packages with creative visual solutions. I think they're doing innovative work that matches my approach, too: unique, relevant and local content with lots of layering and alternative story forms.

What sold me on it? I could say their reorganization or upcoming redesign - and those things absolutely were big draws. But honestly, after going to the newsroom and meeting all the editors and designers and artists I'd be working with, I knew right away it was a great fit. Everyone there is really excited about the future. They're serious about doing good work but not afraid to have fun along the way."

What kinds of skills and experiences can you take with you from Orlando?
"Leaving my Orlando family is going to be tough -- I've been lucky to work with some incredibly smart, passionate and fun people. I learned a lot about teamwork and planning with all the changes the Sentinel has made in the past three years or so and through the redesigns and building Local In-Depth. I think the reorganization in Orlando also helped me see how important it is for newsrooms to embrace and adapt to change.

Living in Florida gave me some interesting news experiences: Terri Schiavo, shuttle launches, gators eating people, hurricanes, NASA astronaut love scandals. I feel like it's been a breaking-news boot camp! I know I still have a lot to learn and the industry is always changing, so I'm looking forward to building on all those experiences in Atlanta."

What's the last album you, uh, acquired?
"Haha, I LOVE this question. People say I like any horrible, floppy-haired band in skinny jeans with fake British accents. I SUBMIT THAT IS NOT TRUE! I hate skinny jeans, they look terribly uncomfortable. I just added Super Furry Animals, Caribou, M.I.A. and Black Lips."

You were recently named Region 3 director for SND. Do you have anything specific that you hope to accomplish?
"I've been so preoccupied lately, I haven't had a chance to even get started. I'm working on getting the Region 3 blog up and running again to highlight Quick Courses, member moves and accomplishments, and to put a spotlight on what new things newspapers in the area are doing. I plan to contact more people in the Southeast through my new Facebook account and the Google group and any other fancy system I can use on the Internets. I hear that system of tubes is here to stay.

SND has stepped it up on Facebook and The Blog, and Matt Erickson has set a really high bar with all the things he's doing in Region 4 ... I'd like to at least try to keep up and learn along the way. I've had so many great experiences through SND, I hope to help everyone in the region see how beneficial the Society is to them, their staffs and publications. I'm just getting settled, maybe I'll have some better goals after Boston. People can contact me anytime at sndregion3(at)gmail.com."


Here are a few of Melissa's Orlando Sentinel pages.













Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger William Couch said...

Go Mangle! And M.I.A. and Caribou!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:05:00 AM  
Blogger Dorsey said...

Congrats, Mangle! And welcome aboard, Billy! The Blog is glad to have such talented, new contributors.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:44:00 AM  
Blogger MattE. said...

Mangle, congrats publicly for what I already told you privately. And saying I've set a high bar in Region 4 -- well, that just puts the right amount of pressure back on for me to kick it back into high gear. Remember -- I followed Nicole's lead in Region 3, which you get to follow now, as well. And I know you'll nail it both in the A-T-L and as Region 3 director. Congrats again!

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 2:26:00 PM  
Anonymous DesignHawg said...

What an awesome opportunity. The team at the AJC just took one giant step up the ladder pulling Mangle aboard. Sad for the peeps in Orlando but more than happy for Mangle.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Bonita Burton said...

Melissa is very much a part of our creative fabric, and we're terribly sorry to see her go. She's made a tremendous impact in her two years in Orlando. Congrats to the AJC on a simply phenomenal addition.

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home