5.17.2007

UPDATE: new P-D editor
comments on style, leadership

Earlier this week The Blog brought you the news of Susan Goldberg's move to Cleveland as the editor named to replace retiring Doug Clifton. Check out the Plain Dealer's Weekend Diary for comments from the new editor as she talks about cost-cutting, creativity and managing change. Here's a taste:
"If you think you have enough resources," says new Plain Dealer Editor Susan Goldberg, "you're not being ambitious enough."

In an interview for Weekend Diary, The Plain Dealer's podcast about local business, Goldberg talks about managing through hard times -- the San Jose Mercury News, where she's been for eight years, has gone through buyouts, layoffs, and the decline of the tech industry -- as well as managing for change and encouraging creativity.

How does she cope with the pressure? "It doesn't help if you're the smartest person in the room if you're willing to get beaten down. So I think resiliency is one of the main keys for being successful as a manager. I do think you need to have a little bit of an optimistic streak."

And on her style as an executive and editor:

"Well, I've never said, 'I'm an executive, I just oversee what's going on.' I am not a gentlewoman journalist. I am much more of a roll-up-your-sleeves kind of journalist. ... The more I can be involved in what's actually in the paper, the happier I am."

Give a listen to the full podcast here.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robb Montgomery said...

Geesh, What a friggin well-spoken editor Susan is.

I am listening to this podcast and thinking . . . "How Far is Cleveland from Chicago?"

I hope they know how amazingly lucky they are at the Plain Dealer.

Thursday, May 17, 2007 10:45:00 PM  
Anonymous David Kordalski, The PD said...

Some of us know. The rest will have a pleasant surprise when she starts on May 29th.

Friday, May 18, 2007 10:49:00 AM  
Anonymous John Kroll, PD said...

From personal experience, Cleveland is exactly one job change away from Chicago. Or just one day, as the frozen pizza flies.

Friday, May 18, 2007 4:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home